- What is a framework? How do child themes work?
- The Whimsy Framework is a parent theme that includes everything you need in a theme, but without very much styling. Child themes work with their parent framework to provide pretty styles.
- Do I have to buy the framework separately?
- Nope! The Whimsy Framework is free to download and customize as you please via the official WordPress theme repository.
- What does responsive layout mean?
- A “responsive layout” is built to work beautifully on any device, from the largest desktop monitor to the smallest phone screen without the need for multiple versions of the website.
- Does my site need anything special to run the Whimsy Framework?
- Whimsy is built on WordPress, the best CMS and blogging software on the internet. When you use WordPress, you’re part of a community of over 60 million users including Beyoncé, Time Magazine, and CNN.
- Can I use your themes on WordPress.com or Blogger?
- No, you must have a self-hosted WordPress website to use Whimsy child themes.
- What is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
- There are two different versions of WordPress: a hosted version (wordpress.COM) and a self-hosted version (wordpress.ORG).
- More about the differences in WordPress options
- WordPress.com is essentially like Blogger, a platform that hosts, manages, and has almost complete control over your blog. You have no control over the code, but you also don’t have to mess with hosting, domains, databases, and all the other stuff that makes a website work. This option is good for newbies with no idea where to start, no help, or no desire. Unfortunately, your design options are limited to what they provide.
For the DIY-type who wants full control over the way their sites looks and functions I recommend WordPress.org. The initial setup is a little more advanced but to retain complete control over your website is worth the extra steps overall. The best news is that once you get all the pieces together and your website is up and running smoothly on WordPress, your site will largely run itself leaving you to write, craft, blog, and do what you do. Even upgrades can be done from within the WordPress administration dashboard without ever having to touch the files again.